Thursday, July 21, 2011

Vacation time

Flashback to one year ago…..

While most people are filled with the overwhelming excitement and anticipation of going on vacation, I am filled with mostly dread.  The thought of how many weeks it will take for the gluten poisoning to leave my body is almost more than I can handle.  Last summer we spent a week in BFE - North Carolina.  We were an hour from civilization and a lifetime away from anything remotely healthy, let alone, gluten free.  While the scenery was beautiful and the excursions were fabulous and memorable - the entire trip was overshadowed with thoughts of *oh great, what am I am going to eat here and will I end up dying in pain from this meal too?!*.  There was a supermarket and I was able to purchase some gf items, but since we were out all day, every day (Dollywood, white water rafting, etc.), it was almost impossible to bring the cooler with us and it was not allowed in the water parks.  I ate almost nothing, and was miserably hungry for most of the 120 degree day - heat filled trip.  Heat plus hunger = bitch, by the way.  It was only made worse by the fact that our mountain house that we rented had no air conditioning.  It was not broken, there was NONE?!?!?!?  Who would have thought to ask – and it was the mountains – it never gets that hot.  We hit the mother-load of heat waves that summer… Lucky us!

We did hit one of the *fancier* steak houses in town, and I use the word *fancier*, loosely.  After explaining what gluten was (and no, it is not sugar you ignorant waiter) - I ordered a steak, baked potato and garden salad with no croutons and no dressing.  Of course, I already felt sick from four days of trying to eat gluten free in gluten filled mess halls (not really, but that was the ambiance of the restaurants).  A few nights later, I decided I needed more than just a Trio bar and a MIX-1 shake - and we had steak at the *fancy* place again.  This time, after tasting the steak, I called the waitress over and told her it was really salty and wanted to know what was on it (I had also given her the gluten lesson prior to ordering).  She proudly proclaimed it was the BEST MARINADE in town.... she rattled off the ingredients and of course, SOY SAUCE was #1.  I began to cry.  I did not eat dinner that night.  I did not even bother to try and scream and fuss at her for what she had done to me - and not listened to what I had told her... I was defeated and did not care to explain myself one more single time that week. Actually, at that point I just wanted to run home and hide away from the non-gluten free society I now had to try and fit into.

It took me almost 9 weeks to recover from that vacation.  The gluten poisoning fallout seemed endless.

Today….

THIS VACATION is going to be different.  We are travelling with dear friends, and my girlfriend and one of her 3 children just happen to be in the beginning stages of a GF/SF/CF lifestyle change.  I can’t say I am happy for them, but I am sure happy she has someone to help guide her through this!  We are staying in a metropolitan (and populated with humans and not deer and bear) area.  We are making sure ahead of time of all of our dining options and calling ahead to double check.  I am exhausted from the pre-planning, but I know it will make the trip so much more enjoyable!   

I have done MAJOR research and even purchased some digestive enzymes that are supposed to help with accidental cross contamination from eating out (http://www.enzymedica.com/products/GlutenEase). 
I plan on popping those babies before EVERY meal, and maybe in between.

We are heading to St. Louis (my most favorite get-a-way.   So close of a drive and so much to do!)  We have MAJOR fun planned.  I have scoured the internet and I think we have planned each activity around where we can get a decent gluten free meal!  Hey –you gotta do what you gotta do! ;-)

The best part of this experience will be that I am now 2 years post diagnosis, and armed with so much more than a Trio bar, MIX-1 shake, and fruit snacks.  I know that questions to ask, how to inform people without making them want to spit in my food behind the kitchen door and more importantly – how not to feel like the world will come to an end if I go away from my safe zone (a/k/a – my kitchen).  I know there is going to be some form of gluten poisoning… so I am prepared with all of my potions and pills now.  It won’t cure me – or prevent it, but I am hopeful that it will lessen the effects and allow me to enjoy my vacation thoroughly.

It has been a year since we have ventured away from home as a family (save an overnight trip for a dance competition that Gabby was in).  I am eternally optimistic that as new light is shed on not just Celiac Disease, but Gluten and other food Intolerance, that more and more restaurants and grocery stores will accommodate the millions who suffer. 

So, here is to St. Louis 2011 with the Sandlins!  May we have our first of many amazing, memory filled trips, with as few bathroom breaks as possible and no sore tummies!!!  

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have a FABULOUS time in St. Louis! There are so many things to do and places to safely eat :)

    ReplyDelete