Saturday, July 23, 2011

Why?

I am far from deeply religious and ANYONE who knows me knows this tidbit.  I do, however, believe that everything happens for a reason.  Everyone *happens* in our lives for a purpose.  I often question the purpose of some.  I have met many amazing people since moving to TN.  TN is so different than anywhere else I ever lived.  I grew up in NY and lived in FL for 8 years before moving here.  TN is a mix of Southern Charm and a major step back in time - pre-civil rights.  I swear I still flinch at the things that come out of peoples mouths in public places.

I have met people from ALL walks of life, all religious backgrounds and all races.  Having my own little melting pot, reminds me of home.

Just in the last month, several close friends and several new friends have been or have children who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  Just two short years ago, when I was diagnosed, I had never so much as even heard of it.  A year later, my little girl was diagnosed, still knew NO ONE with the disease - or even a close understanding to what it is and how deadly it can be if not taken seriously.

I had attended a couple of support groups when I first moved here and decided they weren't so supportive... After two years, I formed my own.

As exhausting as all of this is - on top of living with very real, very current health issues, I am so very touched to be able to offer even the slightest bit of insight into what Celiac is and how to live a *normal* life with it.

For a long while now I have been feeling like I had no other purpose other than cooking, cleaning, taxiing, well, you get the picture.  Going back to work in a field completely foreign to what I spent my entire career doing, was unexpectedly rewarding!  This new chapter of educating and lending good ole' fashion moral support to those in need, even though it takes up more time than I have to spare, is by far the most rewarding feat I have accomplished (since giving birth to my children).

I often wonder why I am so drawn to helping others.  My husband always gets frustrated with me about how much I take on - and how I try to be *Mother Theresa* and solve world problems.  I have been thinking about this lately and the only thing I can come up with is that it gives me pure joy.  Knowing I helped someone in some minuscule way, without anything in return.. just makes me happy.

Nothing wrong with being happy!



3 comments:

  1. You rock! Thank you for all of your help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, through this last month or two that I've been really sick and looking into gluten and my diet in general, you have been very helpful. Though we haven't been able to get together and really make things happen yet (dang hospital always gettin' up in my way!) it has been a huge relief just knowing you're there and are going to be there when I'm ready. Seriously, a weight was lifted off my shoulders the day you offered your services to me. That in and of itself is a lot and you haven't done anything yet besides talk and offer! Imagine the help you'll be when you teach me recipes and tricks and let me make almond flour in your kitchen! I'm thankful to have you as a friend. I hate that things like illness and disease bring us together, but I'm glad you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lot of anger and sadness after I was diagnosed and later started feeling well. It took me a long time to get a diagnosis and I realized I missed a lot in life. Helping others is a way of letting go of the anger. When you see someone have an easier time than you had it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete